SEM – Search Engine Marketing
Top Five Steps for Effective Search Engine Marketing
Thoughts on Search Engine Marketing
Search marketing is the most cost-effective, non-intrusive marketing channel available. It’s scalable, geographically targeting, and relatively fast to implement. It’s the rare brand that cannot benefit from some form of search marketing.
The secret to an effective campaign online or otherwise is tying everything together. Many are surprised how fast an effective branding and marketing campaign will improve their bottom line. Right now millions of people are online searching for the goods and services you sell, and Search Marketing will help them find you… Guaranteed.
Five steps companies can take now to improve search engine optimization are:
- Look at your website analytics to make sure you see traffic from search engines. If you don’t see there may be a ttechnical problem keeping Google Yahoo, Bing and other major search engines from indexing your site.
- Identify 5-10 keywords and/or keyword phrases you think people would use and find solutions using the Free Google Keyword Tool. If your not opposed to paying a few bucks for keyword research software, Two great options are Wordtracker and Traffic Travis. Both are excellent tools to helping you save both time and money managing your online marketing campaign.
- See how your site performs on Google for the five keyword phrases you think people who would buy from you would use to search for solutions providers compared with your competitors. Again, Traffic Travis Premium provides a host of additional tools to easily sort out the best keyword phrases and research your online competition.
- Check out if your competitors are advertising and what it would cost you to compete for those 5 or so keywords of importance to you. Go to Google Keyword tool and look up the keywords and estimated bid prices. In addition, we recommend setting up geo-targeted campaigns which are served up locally (zip code level), state-wide, nationally, and internationally depending on your market reach.
- Do not forget the power of social media. Facebook alone now has over 500 million users. Social media is another avenue for driving traffic to your site. If you have videos of interest, set up a YouTube channel. If you are an expert, join Yahoo Answers and answer questions about topics related to your business—if you get voted a top-info-provider, you can use that to reinforce your expert standing. Set up a Facebook page for your business, and make sure your business has a searchable LinkedIn Profile.